Thursday, October 25, 2007

#15 continued

Things I agree with from reading articles on Libraries 2.0:
  • 2.0 technology offers great ways of removing barriers between our patrons and our information by making processes user friendly.
  • We need to find new ways to bring our services to patrons rather than insisting that they come to us—whether physically or virtually. This means placing our content and links in places other than the library Web Page and being a presence on the Web in places other than our own site.
  • The 2.0 librarian uses Instant Messaging to meet users in their space online, builds blogs and wikis as resources to further the mission of the library, and mashes up content via Application Program Interfaces to build useful Web sites.
  • questions to ask when planning for technology. Does it meet the users need in a new or improved way? Does it create a useful service for putting users together with the information and experience they seek?
  • Users will create their own mash ups, remixes and original expressions and should be able to do so at the library or via the library’s resources.
  • Libraries should welcome the submission of reviews, assignment of keywords (“tagging”), addition of scholarly commentary, and other forms of user participation.
For me, Library 2.0 means I get to play with cool things at work and make them relevant to what I do, and, in turn relevant to our patrons' needs.

2 comments:

Paula Lewis said...

Hi Annette,

My, you certainly have a lot in your blog! How do you find the time? I guess it helps that you like writing. Maybe I'll point Leah to your LibraryThing page. She is a fan.

Paula

AnnetteCK said...

Hi, Paula!

I just start a post and add to it by editing as I think of stuff.
I haven't much in my Library Thing page as yet. It won't take Leah long to get bored.